The IELTS Talking check format has three components. On this publish, we’ll take a detailed have a look at every one and contemplate some IELTS Talking suggestions and methods that will help you increase your rating. We’ve additionally included a printable PDF cheat sheet that features the Half 1, 2, and three suggestions from this web page, however expands on them with extra explanations and examples!
Earlier than we get to recommendation for the particular components, let’s have a look at some basic IELTS Talking suggestions for self-study.
IELTS Talking Ideas and Tips for Self-Research
Self research may be difficult, particularly for an interactive English talent like talking. Our lead teacher Eliot has made an awesome video of self-study recommendation for IELTS Talking. And beneath that video, take pleasure in an inventory of Magoosh’s prime 10 self-study suggestions and tips!
Our college students have discovered IELTS Talking check suggestions 7 to 10 above to be particularly helpful. So Eliot has made a YouTube video that explores these 4 IELTS Talking suggestions in even higher element:
Listed here are ten self-study IELTS Talking suggestions from Magoosh’s prime IELTS consultants.
Tip 1: Throughout Follow, Be Relaxed!
Being relaxed and assured helps make your English extra pure; that in flip helps fluency. After all, on the actual check, stress-free may be simpler mentioned than executed. However for those who observe giving responses with out stress throughout self-study, you’re extra more likely to be assured on check day.
Tip 2: Develop Your Vocabulary, However Preserve Issues Easy.
Research vocabulary as a way to use a variety of phrases with confidence. However bear in mind, English speech has easier vocabulary than extremely tutorial written English. To see the appropriate vary of phrases, take a look at our article on IELTS Talking vocabulary.
Tip 3: Follow Paraphrasing.
When you copy the precise phrases out of your Half 2 matter card or repeat the precise phrases out of your IELTS examiner, you’re not demonstrating your personal language skill. To keep away from this, spend a while training placing issues into your personal phrases.
Tip 4: Use a Number of Grammar.
Throughout self-study, if you say one thing out loud for a observe talking response, attempt saying that very same factor in a number of other ways, with totally different grammar. It will aid you perceive the other ways you could possibly say one thing on check day, and select the most effective, most assorted grammar.
Tip 5: Follow Each Intonation and Pronunciation
Do not forget that the sound of English (and any language!) is partly about pronunciation (the person sounds) and partly about intonation (the tone and rhythm of the language). For intonation, this tutorial from the Magoosh TOEFL Weblog (additionally relevant to IELTS) is a good place to start out.
Tip 6: Be Assured, Even when You Have an Accent.
I say if you might have an accent. However realistically, everybody has an accent. Even most native English audio system have pronunciation that’s not less than slightly totally different from the usual on the IELTS. And that’s OK! Don’t waste time making an attempt to eliminate your accent throughout observe.
Tip 7: Report Your self and Pay attention Again.
That is particularly necessary for self-study. Magoosh IELTS lets its subscribers document and save their responses, however there are lots of different applied sciences– in your PC or on the internet– that allow you to do that.
Tip 8: Overview the Responses of Different Check-Takers.
This is among the most necessary IELTS Talking suggestions, a “should do” for self-studiers. Right here once more, Magoosh IELTS has you lined. However there are additionally loads of wonderful free methods to hearken to different college students’ mannequin solutions to pattern questions on the Web, equivalent to this wonderful web page from the official IELTS web site.
Tip 9: Discover Others to Assist You with IELTS Talking
“Wait”, you would possibly assume. “Aren’t we speaking about self-study? Sure, however self-study doesn’t at all times imply finding out alone. Even for those who aren’t taking a category or utilizing a tutor, sources equivalent to research companions, IELTS assist boards, or Magoosh’s IELTS Talking evaluation may be helpful.
Tip 10: Keep Disciplined and Comply with a Plan.
For IELTS check self-studiers, this the is most necessary of the IELTS Talking suggestions. Our web page of IELTS research schedules might help you keep disciplined and plan-focused as you put together for the entire IELTS examination. Or, you can also make the same plan of your personal.
IELTS Talking Ideas for a Excessive Rating: Components 1, 2, and three
Now, for some IELTS talking suggestions for every particular person a part of the Talking examination. The following pointers will aid you meet the marking standards within the IELTS Talking band descriptors. Learn on for methods to get a excessive rating!
IELTS Talking Half 1
- Keep away from easy solutions. In Half 1, you’ll typically be requested basic questions on acquainted matters that technically may be answered with only a phrase or two, or with a easy “sure” or “no.” However to get an awesome rating, you’ll have to reply in higher element. And because the matter of Half 1 is you, it’s best to have lots to say!
- However don’t give solutions which can be too lengthy. Finally, on this primary a part of the check, the questions are nonetheless fairly easy. When you converse for too lengthy on anyone response, you threat going off matter. (See web page 1 of our Talking Methods PDF for examples of a solution of the appropriate size.)
IELTS Talking Half 2
- Talk about each a part of the subject. The Activity card for Half 2 is a multipart query. Lacking a component is among the best methods to overlook factors!
- Keep centered. Be sure you reply very on to the prompts on the web page, and don’t focus on unrelated matters.
- Pay particular consideration to Characteristic 3 on the subject card. This a part of the cardboard requires an prolonged response with details and supporting particulars. (For pattern matter playing cards, see our publish on IELTS Talking Half 2.
- Preserve these notes easy. You actually can’t write that many notes in 60 seconds. Follow creating notes that use only a few phrases to reference every factor you’ll say.
IELTS Talking Half 3